Thursday, September 11, 2008

Huckleberry Rin


In 8 days, I will embark on my journey.  After about 3 months of looking for a job, I finally got lucky!  I'll be taking photographs on the American Queen Riverboat, which trek's its way down the great Mississippi River.  I will start in Red Wing, MN and I will end up in New Orleans, LA, 8 weeks later.  It looks like its going to be a lot of fun!  I'll get to see a bunch of new places and I'll get to see the best and brightest colors of fall, which is my favorite season.  I'll be able to take oodles of awesome photographs; of course I am bringing my Holga with a bunch of film!  I'd be lying, though, if I didn't say I was nervous!  
Will I get motion sickness?  
Will it be cold?  
Will I like my co-workers (who I'm bound to 24/7 for the next 2 months)?  
Will I like my job? 
I think my mom gave me the best advice when she said "Treat this job like a class in school.  You liked some, you hated others, but you worked your hardest in all of them.  At the end of this class, you will have gained experience instead of an A.  Then you can move on to whatever the next class may be."  

Out of all the people I told about my new job, about 65% of them said "Your going to be like Huckleberry Finn!!".  Hence, the title of this entry provided by the wise and witty Paul Garvey, himself.  Its been a really long time since I've even seen that book, so I am compelled to go buy a copy to read on the ship.  I'm not really going to, but it sounds like a good idea...

In related news, I must be a psychic of some sort.  Honestly!  A couple of months ago, I went out to dinner with my friend Devin to the Red Coat Tavern.  While we were talking after dinner, I crafted up this amazing ship from items remaining at our table.







www.americanqueenriverboat.com if you feel like checkin it out.

1 comment:

The Clarks said...

Kerin -
You will have a great time and do great work! I think it sounds fun and free spirited, just like you :-) We miss you and wish that boat could take a right out of the Mississippi and head up the Texas coast! Can't wait to hear about your adventures. -Jessica